Whew, just had a play session with my Human and that big toy in the kitchen that flings ice cubes! Love those things!!
I hope you took my advice and were able to breathe a little bit, grieve about the loss of your job, have fun, and challenge yourself since the last time you were here. If you did, hold up your hand and give me a big high paw. You also need to take care of yourself. Go to the gym, or participate in whichever sport you like, but just stay active and have a normal “work” schedule. There is nothing worse than going to a job interview and not putting your best self forward for the employer to notice.
Okay, time for me to hunker down on the doggie bed for some quick thoughts (in no order) about job search planning strategy; and you…time to SIT. STAY. GOOD SIT.
As I had mentioned previously, my blog is about things that my Human didn’t learn until well into their search. I don’t want anyone to have to go through what I witnessed my Human experiencing. You see, the faux paw that Human continually engaged in was overt positivity, which was mentally and physically exhausting for Human, and dare I say hackle rising for me some days. Hence, my learnings are coming straight from the doggie bed. Trust, me, you will be glad I told you about these now, rather than find them out for yourself later.
- WORK A PLAN. Yes, finding a job is a full-time job! I’m not kidding. In fact, I overhead someone telling Human on the speakerphone that Human needed to spend at least 20 hours a week on job searching. Oh my Doggess! Human went “Beggin’ Strips crazy”! Here is a brief article from Careerealism on why you need a strategic job search plan. I want you to bookmark their website as I will refer to it often, and so should you.
- UNDERSTAND THE HIDDEN JOB MARKET. Apparently there is this thing called the hidden job market. You see, given the state of the ruff economy, these days it is said that at least 80% of all jobs are fetched via networking. The jobs that you see “published/posted” on job boards represent about 1% of the available jobs. The other 99% are the hidden ones that you don’t know about. These hidden jobs are the ones filled by internal employees, or network acquaintances of the employees at that company. I wish I could help you sniff them out, but I think you’re on your own with this one. When they aren’t filled, that’s when they get published/posted publicly. I believe in human words this should be a “light-bulb moment” for you. You need to read this article by Forbes. It provides a lot of great information on how to work the hidden job market.
- JOB CHURN happens when people once again believe that the economy is picking up and they can afford to safely look for new jobs, get one and leave (job churn). Check out this article by Forbes. In most recent years, churn has not occurred because people knew jobs were tuff to fetch and didn’t want to chance being without one, so they did a sit – stay.
- DO NOT ANSWER ANY UNKNOWN NUMBERS ON YOUR PHONE. Let the caller leave a message and then call them back when you have a free moment. The last thing you want to do is to have a call with a recruiter about a job at a company that you aren’t prepared to talk about, or that you haven’t researched thoroughly. If you simply must answer your phone, do so, BUT tell the caller that this is not a good time and schedule a better time that is. Check out this advice from US News on answering your phone.
- DO NOT GIVE YOUR SALARY INFORMATION TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU ARE IN NEGOTIATIONS. NO. NO. NO. Apparently, job seekers have become enablers to recruiters with regard to this question. What I mean by this is that job seekers want jobs so badly these days that they answer any question a recruiter asks them. We were shocked when Human was asked their most recent salary during a phone screen. I remember it being the third question. Human told them. Remember, Human didn’t know not to at the time. The next thing I recall was Human hanging up the phone is disbelief. Here is a link to an excellent script, by Liz Ryan, CEO & Founder of Human Workplace, to use in this scenario. You will want to bookmark this site too.
- START TO MAKE A LIST OF KEYWORDS that describe your skillset. Call some co-workers, NOT friends or family members. Ask them this, “If you had to describe me in three words to an employer that called you for a reference for me, what three words would you give them and why?” Put this list to the side and add to it as you think of others you can add. You will learn to hate this word… keywords. In the link provided there is great information from Job Hunt relative to how important they really are.
Oh my, I didn’t mean for you to sit this long, so go have a cookie and come back next time.
P.S. Next time we are going to take a look at LinkedIn, so if you have some time, you should check it out and submit questions now, so I can include them in my post.