Good to see you again! I hope you had time to fetch a cup o’joe before we get started. Remember to put it back far enough on the table just in case your canine friend loves coffee as much as I do.
So, you got the call, and you’ve been planning your plan, and now it’s time to get started for real. This is by no means going to be a party (but, I thought the hat was cute), but you do need to have fun.
- LinkedIn – Last time I left you with the thought of LinkedIn. Did you check it out? If so, go grab a cookie and give yourself a high paw! If not, check out this LINK for a slew of LinkedIn Learning Webinars on everything from how to get started, to using it to start a company page. Most folks assume that LinkedIn is just used to find a job. It’s much more than that. While it may in fact be the world’s largest on-line networking site (and it’s FREE), there are also thought leaders in many industries, which publish short blogs daily on trending topics.
- You need to be active on LinkedIn to build your social network. Remember, it’s who you know these days that gets you a job, NOT a job board! You can join groups of interest; either in your current career, hobby, or the career you might be interested in pursuing. You can also follow companies and get a leg up on the competition. It’s almost as if they are throwing you a bone to check them out before you do anything else. I could go on all day about LinkedIn, but Human should be home soon, and I don’t want her to catch me on the computer again.
- Optimizing LinkedIn – You know that list of keywords I had you make last time, well; this is where you’ll begin to use them. Donna Serdula is a LinkedIn makeover expert. You need to capture the best of your keywords and put them in strategic places in your profile, and learn to brand yourself (I guarantee it doesn’t hurt). HERE Donna gives you free resources on how to make an attention grabbing LinkedIn Headline, graphic images to personalize your profile, and provides examples of woof-tastic profiles.
- Do’s and Don’ts of Networking – check out this ARTICLE by Liz Ryan, CEO, Humanworkplace on what networking IS NOT, so you don’t make any faux paws. While you’re there check out this ARTICLE too on social networking for job seeking boomers. I still haven’t figured out what that is, but I know there are a lot of them.
- Fun Networking – I know, two words that you would never expect to see in the same sentence, right? I mentioned J.T. O’Donnell, the CEO of CAREEREALISM and CareerHMO last time in my post. Check out this Slideshare presentation that J.T. has created to launch a new concept of on-line networking which she calls MINGLE. I liken it to speed dating, but you’re virtually networking, at home, in your PJ’s. Now, how can you not like this method of networking? There are netiquette/rules to follow for Mingle so you need to go to her website HERE to get all of the particulars, download the e-book on Mingle, and sign up. It’s free too!
Well, that’s it for today. I ‘ve given you a lot to chew on.
P.S. Next time we’ll discuss getting that old resume up to snuff.
Disclaimer: Neither Human or myself are getting compensated in any way for mentioning the above web sites. These sites are the ones that Human found most reputable and resourceful for job searching and wants to share them with you.